Movie poster for Sarkar
|Directed by||Ram Gopal Varma|
|Produced by||Ram Gopal Varma,
|Written by||Manish Gupta|
Kay Kay Menon,
|Music by||Amar Mohile|
|Editing by||Nitin Gupta,
|Release date(s)||July 1, 2005|
|Running time||124 mins|
|Budget||Rs. 7 crores|
Sarkar (Hindi: सरकार, Urdu: سرکار, English: Government) is a 2005 Bollywood film, directed by Ram Gopal Varma, starring Amitabh Bachchan in the title role. The film also stars Abhishek Bachchan, Kay Kay Menon, Katrina Kaif and Tanisha. Sarkar meaning "The Government", is considered to be Varma's homage to the classic The Godfather.
Subhash Nagare, who is known by his followers as Sarkar, lives in Mumbai; his son, Vishnu (Kay Kay Menon), plays a producer who seems more interested in film actresses than his wife. Sarkar's other son, Shankar (Abhishek Bachchan), returns from studying in the United States and falls in love with Pooja (Katrina Kaif). One day, a Dubai-based don tries to strike a deal with Sarkar; he refuses on moral grounds. The don then tries to eliminate Sarkar's supremacy with the help of Vishnu. However, Shankar tries to counter each his father's rivals.
Please improve it or discuss changes on the talk page. See Wikipedia's guide to writing better articles for suggestions.
- Subhash Nagre aka Sarkar (Amitabh Bachchan) is an enigmatic man. His millions of supporters call him Sarkar - the government; also meaning Sir. He dipenses justice, justice he knows the common man will not find in courts or from the police. His methods are simple, effective and brutal - an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Every day people queue at his house with grievances, seeking justice that has been denied them. And Sarkar delivers. He is not a criminal, yet his deeds are anything but legal. Sarkar is a parallel government.
- Vishnu Nagre (Kay Kay Menon) is a hotheaded, easily manipulated wastrel. He cannot understand his father's ideals. To him, power is meant to be used; abused, if that is what it takes to get what he wants. He constantly is at odds with his father.
- Shankar Nagre (Abhishek Bachchan) is the opposite of his brother. Suave, calm and calculative, yet extremely intelligent and foreseeing, he believes in his father completely and understands and accepts his ideals unquestioningly.
- Pushpa Subhash Nagre (Supriya Pathak) is the wife of Subhash and the mother of Vishnu and Shankar. She silently observes her husband's dealings and calmly watches Vishnu abuse his power. Nevertheless she loves her family dearly and tries to make sure they stay together.
- Amrita Vishnu Nagre (Rukhsar) is the wife of Vishnu. She knows that her husband cheats on her everyday and that she'll probably never get the love and respect she deserves. However she puts up with Vishnu's temper and stays strong for their son.
- Pooja (Katrina Kaif) is Shankar's girlfriend and has studied with him abroad. When she witnesses what Shankar comes from she is shakened and scared. She makes Shankar choose between her or the life of guns and death.
- Avantika (Tanisha) is Shankar's childhood friend who has loved him for years. His parents want him to marry her. When he returns she is happy but is devastated when he comes back with his girlfriend. She puts on a brave face in front of him but it is not long before he finds out her true feelings.
The director Ram Gopal Varma has extensively used close-up angles of various characters. Some angles are really unconventional. The background score sounds jarring at some points. The overall flow of the story is smooth-sailing.
- Ram Gopal Verma had signed Amitabh Bachchan for another movie Ek, he decided to scrap that script and decided to cast both father and son together for the first time in this movie.
- The term "Sarkar" is a title, used in Hindi, to address someone of authority. It is also the Hindi word for government.
- Some believe that the film's main characters are based on Bal Thackeray and his associates, although director Ram Gopal Verma has denied this.
Sarkar as expected went on to become a hit at the box office. Abhishek Bachchan in particular, was rewarded for his portrayal as a son trying to save his father. He won the following awards:
- Amitabh Bachchan ... Subhash Nagare 'Sarkar'
- Abhishek Bachchan ... Shankar Nagare
- Kay Kay Menon ... Vishnu Nagare
- Supriya Pathak ... Pushpa Subhash Nagare
- Rukhsar ... Amrita Vishnu Nagare
- Katrina Kaif ... Pooja
- Tanisha ... Avantika
- Anupam Kher ... Motilal Khurana
- Srinivasa Rao Kota ... Selva Mani
- Zakir Hussain ... Rashid